Quotes via the NY Daily News:
- “He’s terrible,” a defensive starter told the Daily News.
- Left guard Matt Slauson, who has repeatedly supported Sanchez, made it clear that the fourth-year signal caller is the Jets’ best quarterback. “It’s not even close,” Slauson said. “All the other quarterbacks know it. I have all the confidence in Mark. We don’t really have a choice.”
- When asked about the team’s two other quarterbacks on the depth chart as possible alternatives — Tebow and Greg McElroy — Slauson clarified that the Jets really have only one other quarterback. “We have Greg . . . and we have an athlete,” Slauson said.
- But could the Jets win with Tebow as the No. 1 quarterback? “Do I have to answer that question?” a veteran starter said, shaking his head.
- “We don’t look at him as a quarterback,” another starter said. “He’s the Wildcat guy.”
- “Hell, no!” another starter said. “You got to keep defenses honest. You just can’t line up in the Wildcat all the time. That won’t work.”
- “We can’t win running that sh–,” one player said.
- “Now we’re depending on miracles?” a member of the organization said. “You can’t play that way.”
- “It would take extreme poor play. . . . like a five-interception game,” said a prominent member of the organization. “Something where it was just ridiculous. It would take Mark to totally just sh– the bed and become unglued (before there was a quarterback change).”
- “Look at some of the players he’s [Sanchez] throwing to,” a Jets official said. “It’s garbage.”
- Said another Jets source: “I’ve seen better receiving corps in college than we have on our team.”
- So, who wants Tebow to be the starter? “Nobody,” a member of the team said.
It could be worse (not much worse)…we could be Jets fans.